We’re enjoying a bit of a heat wave here in the UK at the moment and we’re totally not used to it!
Hugo doesn’t like the heat at all and Teddy is too young to be in the sun so we thought we’d share some tips we’ve been using for keeping hound and mini humans cool when it’s hot hot hot outside!
- Save walkies for early morning or very late evening, take water and don’t forget to do the pavement test before you set off! Put the back of your hand on the pavement and if you can’t keep it there for at least 5 seconds then it’s too hot for your dog’s feet.
- Choose cotton sheets! This goes for humans and hounds! Cotton is a breathable fabric which helps keep you cool. In winter we have brushed cotton sheets and Hugo and Holly love their fluffy beds but in Summer we have cotton sheets and I cover Hugo and Holly’s mattress pad with an old cotton sheet to help them keep cool too!
- Cool mats are great for the hound in your life! Hugo loves his and knows it’ll cool him down if he lays on it. They don’t need to be refrigerated, you just pop it down and the pressure of their body does the rest! They’re actually great to put your feet on if you get hot too!!
- On hot summer nights, to keep your mini human cool, a fan in the bedroom is a great idea, but instead of pointing it at their crib or cot angle it towards a frozen bottle of water which will help cool the air in the room without your baby sleeping in a draft!
- Play sprinkler games in the garden! Teddy’s still a bit young to enjoy this but Holly loves when the sprinklers are on! She got absolutely soaked last night running back and forth through it and it really helped keep her cool.
- Make our easy peasy Homemade Pupsicles! Dog friendly but also good for the little ones in the family too!
Enjoy the weather and remember to stay safe in the sun!